St. John Evangelical Lutheran | rural Akron, IA
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church in Rural Akron, Iowa was founded in 1889 by early German settlers who came to Preston township for the excellent farmland. Sixteen pioneer families worked together to organize a congregation so that they could continue worshiping and growing in their faith in God in this new location.
Since that time, there have been many changes to our church building and congregation. In 1942 a full basement was added under the church building, which was also lengthened. A chancel and choir loft were added to the sanctuary. A new parsonage was built in 1948. A classroom addition was constructed in 1966. Most recently a lift was installed to allow accessibility to the three levels of the church for all individuals. Accessibility remodeling also included the bathroom on the main level of the church and the creation of space for wheelchair seating within the pews in the sanctuary.
What hasn't changed for our congregation in our 124 years of ministry is the involvement of men, women, and children in the many activities and ministries of the church. Aware of God's generous blessings, we live in grateful anticipation of the future as we trust God for all that God has promised us!